My Other Pages

Monday, July 10, 2017

Art Journal - Page 156

Hi everyone!

Today I was working in my "prompt" journal. This is a hard cover book I bought from our local thrift store, I wanted to create a journal playing around with backgrounds and to add a prompt to each page so that when I was stuck for an idea for a journal page I could refer to this prompt journal. I tore out a few pages so that it would reduce the stress on the binding. I'm not adhering any pages together in this journal as the pages are quite thick enough for what I'm going to put on it.

First I applied a coat of white gesso (I use Liquitex Professional fluid gesso).

For this page I wanted to leave some white space and create a page with mostly black/blue tones so I applied some acrylic paint (mars black mixed with white to create a grey tone) over a TCW "Moroccan Tiles" stencil.

I then darkened the grey a bit and sponged over the "trellis" layering stencil by Tim Holtz, then darkened the grey more and sponged it over the "diamond border" stencil by Dylusions.

Now I forget in which order I did the remainder of the page but it went something like this:

I stamped the Judikins key with jet black archival ink, along with the butterflies stamp and bird stamp by Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous "shabby french".

Next I started spraying through the same stencils with slate grey, after midnight, black marble and white linen ink sprays by Dylusions, as well as stream Adirondack Color Wash spray.

I then added more grey paint over the "trellis" stencil (I think), then added some white spray, some black marble spray again, stamped the swirl with jet black archival ink (stamp from the "shabby french" set by Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous).

I also thought it needed more contrast with some white, but as I had sprays all over the page the colours of the sprays were always going to come through whatever white medium I applied, but I decided to go ahead and just trace over some of the diamonds with a white POSCA pen.

I finished up the page by mixing up some mars black acrylic paint & water in a squirt bottle (bought this from Michael's when I was in the States) and writing the "discovery" title.

The page ended up darker than I initially intended but it's all good! You can watch the time-lapse process video on YouTube by clicking HERE.

Thanks so much for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment